Friday 28 May 2010

Realistically speaking


Me and the Shopkeeper Gal, I like to think we get on really well - hey, we're friends. I cannot encourage her to conduct any workshops in her own shop, despite the truly beautiful and precise cards that she makes to order or to showcase her products. So it's fair to say I'm not an influential friend. How do I know this? Because we have a difference of opinion about what looks OK or good on a card. It makes me laugh. Although probably I will never recover from the realisation that I have no influence over her.

See, Shopkeeper Gal is a literal cardmaker. See the card here with the vines as a background - they disappear behind the purple square which is actually a pull forward pocket. This card made her teeth itch...she feels it's upside down for a start; - those vines are 'stems' and should be coming from the bottom of the card. And because they're stems, they should have flowers at the top of 'em. Not artfully cascading down over the pocket of the card as if they've fallen off the stems. I see her point. But I am unphased by it. And because I'm a grown up fat forty something, I am happy to disagree with her and think she's slightly nutty about it. Remember the lovely Chatsworth range from DO? All candelabras, standard lamps and chairs? She don't get that - why would you want a card with a chair on it? What does it say? See, I don't mind - if it's a nice image, I like it on a card...enough said, for me. A colleague demonstrator at an event once asked me why I had put a waste bin so high up on the on the card he was looking at. The card had a die cut decoupage image of a Grandma sitting in an armchair. I had cut a wider-at-the-top square from some text printed paper and added it to the card, top right somewhere. It wasn't a bin, it was the sentiment, and it added balance. But Finlay couldn't see that: because of the shape I'd used and how a waste bin could relate to the armchair scenario. See, that's literal. I rejoice in the differences we crafters have, no doubt. Next time I use those nice leafy stems (vines), I'm going to put them on the horizontal to freak out Shopkeeper Gal. Maybe she'll realise I find it funny. She's already sussed that my shallowness means that secretly I think I'm right. After all, I was right when I said I'd blog about it if she was going to be critical of my right-way-wrong-way-round card! I'm due in to do a workshop of sorts tomorrow...if she sacks me, I'll give away all of her card making secrets!

22 comments:

Darcy Marshall said...

haha all my non crafty friends are exactly the same, if I had a pound for everytime someone has asked 'but why?' I would be dragging my pound laden pockets on the floor in a very ungainly manner.

Yvonne said...

LOL, love this.. see we crafters we see things so up side down turned around on it's head, side ways .. and we all see some thing new ... thats why we are ARTIST ( no P in the front)!
Myself .. I love the way you have used the Vines, Stems...

Annie said...

We all see things differently. Thats what makes us individual. I can see the stems/vines from both ways....not quite sure what that says about me but the rumours are all wrong....I deny everything :-)
A x

Mummylade said...

lol! That is such a big part of crafting - being able to use things in ways they weren't supposed to. And how rewarding to have someone pushing you further by questioning =)

Handmade with Love said...

I think its a very good thing we are all different or all our cards would look the same! My best friend loves bright colours and happily rips papers and just goes for it whilst I love to think about it for ages and then do everying with a ruler and would not dream of ripping a piece of paper! Having said that I love her work because it shows her personality and she loves mine! Have a great weekend. Tracey x

Bettythebaglady said...

Sympathise with shopkeeper gal but wouldn't half love to see what's in the pocket!My DH hates torn paper but I've got over it now LOL Hugs BettyXXX

Anonymous said...

Had to rush home to read the blog, and I am sorry but THAT CARD IS UPSIDE DOWN!!!

I wish I could look at stamps and see more but I just cant get away from seeing a lovely image for me to stamp and colour. The only decision then is which to use? Copics, Tombows or my new Inktense pencils!

See you tomorrow.
Shopkeeper Gal

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

Being creative means sometimes you do things differently... It's great that we all have different ideas and perspectives :)

You know what... I didn't think the card was upside down until the thought was put into my head!

Ann said...

But you weren't making the card for Shopkeeper Gal were you? You were making it to please yourself. I'm sure if it were for her you would have taken a stamp and literally created a card she would love!
Only someone creative can do that.

Alix said...

lol i get that reaction alot...*hmmmm...but what is it??* ;0)

Twiglet said...

lol - reminds me of that song where the child wants to paint pics how he sees it but teacher makes him do it "properly" in the end he just does as he is told and all creativity is lost!!! Do it your way gal!!

Lyn said...

Now you will not be surprised to know that I, for one, am with Shopkeeper Gal here. Those vines are untidily the wrong way round (though I am itching to know what is in the pocket, of course, and whether it is asymetrical or properly straight.....)

Unfortunately (for me) I too have said crafting friend who completely disagrees with me, especially over colour combinations and what constitutes (artistically) "right". Huh. To quote from one of my favourite stamps "Art is a pigment of your imagination". I have an excellent imagination, of course. She, of course, disagrees with me. HUH.

Liverpool Lou (Anne) said...

hehehehe The flowers don't necessarily belong ON the vines though do they so you can have them anywhere. And if they are the stems then you've created a new species LOL Love the card ;)
Anne xx

Pam said...

Ha, that sounds just like my OH, I used a dgital stamp of a litle girl riding away on her bike and he asked where the front of her was!!! Hugs Pam x

mckinkle said...

How true Julia, what works for one doesnt for another.

The bane of my life is being a Libran and as such I can always see both sides and this is no exception!

Oh to be free to pick just one side of the fence and believe it and nothing else??!! (",)

Keryn x

Helen said...

Individuality, that's what's important!!
Have left an award for you on my blog.

Unknown said...

I kinda agree with SKGal her card is USD but that is what makes us unique I also agree with you when you see a lovely image it doesn't matter if it's on a B'day card or a simpathy card it's the way we ust them. I have a hard time breaking out of the conventional box sometimes like SKGal but when I see other artist using things in unusual ways instead of thinking this isn't the way I love their diversity and imagination and I feel sick I cannot think that way sometimes. So I must agree the that for shopkeeper Gal her card is USD because she is the artist and thinks it is but if you intentionally do it that way with something different in mind then that is the way it is great post! certainly got me thinking

Love DAwn xx

Unknown said...

I know you get loads Julia - but I have an award for you on my blog if you would like to collect it - although its not compulsary!!!

Hugs

Paula x x x

Create With Joy said...

Hi Julia,

I love this card (especially after reading about it!) As a matter of fact, I was over on Paula's blog - she has her sidebar link pics turned on and I caught a glimpse of your card their - came hopping over as soon as I saw it to have a closer look! My first "real" job while I was working my way through school was a salesclerk at a five and dime store - one of my many duties was watering the hanging flower pots - so those upside down vines don't bother me a bit - I didn't even think twice about them until I read your post! I guess it's all in what we are used to and our perspective. A friend and I (who are opposites) have been talking about the Myer's Brigg test a lot as of late - guess she's NOT an ENFP, lol!

Ramona
http://create-with-joy.blogspot.com

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Here's the deal. I'm not a card maker or a stamper, so when I first saw the card, I focused on the flowers and the punch you used around the square the flowers are cascading over. Then you start talking about the vines and I'm going "what vines?" I swear, I had to look twice, then read on. If you hadn't said anything, I would have missed them and they would have faded into the background. Guess I'm literal, too. They look like upside down stems to me, but I'm an altered artist, so what do I know?

Well, I know I'm wishing you a happy bank holiday (Spring Bank Holiday, in fact). Hope you enjoy your day.

Chrissie said...

It would be boring if we all liked the same things... as they say 'variety is the spice of life'. I quite like the odd chair on a card!
Chrissie

Kirsty.A said...

Amy, at Over At Our Place, has blogged a post about our online friendships. I was only thinking something similar the other day. I do believe that 'Friends come into your life for a reason, a season or forever' (as somebody said) and that it is OK to have groups of friends who never meet. My definition of a friend is someone you can share worries and triumphs with, someone who will happy for your success and sad for your trials. I guess that definitely makes us friends and I'm proud to say that. I'm going to go and post a copy of this on all the blogs I follow. Thanks for being a friend.