Sunday 8 March 2015

Painting on the everyday...

I recently mentioned that I had Porcelain paints on my desk and several people commented that they were surprised. Surprised because they didn't know I did much else apart from cutting and sticking. And probably, because I've never talked about or indeed, shown any propensity for, painting. So true. 

The lure of the colours was enough really. That Katy at Baker Ross, who supplied these, was sensible enough not to send me anything too taxing.  Indeed, I used them and enjoyed using them on these fun teabag/spoon holders.  And I discovered something that if you decide to have a go, might help you.  
While wet, the paint is water soluble, so you just need a pot of water and a paintbrush. And an idea. Of course. These paints are for use on pre-glazed ceramic; they set by oven cooking at a low temperature for a short time.  So here are my results
These teapot shaped teabag holder/spoon rests come in a box of five
I do not know the collective noun for these.....
Ha!  Here's some things to say then. It's a nice opaque paint, but no thicker than oh, say....blood. If you want to something spotty and need control, actually you should paint the spots. I used the handle end of the paintbrush to dot paint onto the ceramic and as you can see, different sized dots occur. And when I wasn't looking, some of them spread and joined up. Harrumph. Cue lots of trying to wipe bits clean! The blue dots have remained in dimension.  Which made me move onto the starry styled pot. First I did a load of teeny dots in the pink. Left them to dry (did not cook them) and then did really teeny dots around each and pulled my pokey tool through each dot to get the starry effect. Again, until I let them run into one another, I was feeling quite pleased with this!
I did the pink flowers whilst all the paint was wet and very randomly...some of the 'flower' shapes didn't work out, but that's because I have absolutely no brush skill!

I sponged the lime green as a base and frame onto the other two. It worked well, the coverage is smooth and solid.  It changed the colour though..the lime green's true colour can be seen as the splash in the centre of the erm, splash designed pot.

That's worth knowing about. You can see on the splash design that I used more than a coating of paint..I tried a puddle of colour and then just dragged the brush through it to try to create the splash effect. It was too much and bubbled when cooking. It's perfectly hard and use-able, just doesn't look as I thought it would. As in, I think it was a mistake. 

As I was doing the supermarket grand prix the other day, I discovered that they sell individual teabag holders. In black. At the cost of three from Baker Ross, I might add. Anyway..I bought one and re-did the splash attempt.

Sure did the change the 'wow' factor of the colours - the orange and lime green are really quite dark, huh. Anyway..if you receive a small gift from me in the future, you may expect it to be some painted ceramic..I really enjoyed this sort of mass production. Imagine, if I could actually paint!



16 comments:

Helen said...

I quite like the lime on white splodge effect, even if it's thicker than you intended..I bet you'll do really well on bigger surfaces.. (now that sounds as if these aren't good, that is not what I intended at all!) Seems we're all embracing things outside our comfort zones.

Dotty Jo said...

Lovely! Jo x

Krisha said...

My favorite one is the splash of paint that bubbled......no really it is. Looks like colored lava.

Looks like you had fun, even though your on the cusp of denying it......LOL

Nonnie said...

If these kind of paints were available when I was into ceramics (and a bit of porcelain), I was unaware. I love all your designs on these. So do you have a kiln? People who say that knitting brings them peace; that's the way I felt when doing ceramics.

misteejay said...

What fun Julia - they all look great and it sounds like you enjoyed yourself in the process.
Toni xx

Ohhh Snap said...

Loving the painted tea pots : D.

jodpea said...

Not only was that black one three times the price, its also deformed! Your splashes much improve it tho. #imnotarobot

Sue said...

Fabby. Once baked in the oven are they dishwasher safe?

Hope the week ahead is a good one for you. Sue

505whimsygirl said...

Hi Julia,

I LOVE how these turned out! I wonder if you could paint one of the white ones a base color and let it dry then add the splats? Is Baker Ross in the UK? I'd like to give this a go.

The snow is melting and I am actually wearing sandals today (toes painted and all)!

Hugs,
Kay

Neet said...

Love reading your blog - you always make me chuckle. In a nice way of course. Love the painting.
Hugs, Neet xx

Princess Judy Palmer said...

I think the secret to your handmade tea spoons rests (which when in the collective are referred to as a flock)... so back to your flock of spoon rests, you had an idea in mind and when they didn't quite come out that way you felt they were wrong. We had no preconceived notion so to us they are just fabulous! Actually that is probably the secret to most art. And you know I made that bit up about the flock, right?!

Shoshi said...

Love these, Julia. Really effective, and what gorgeous vibrant bright colours. How wash- and wear-proof are they?

Shoshi

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Oh WOW. I'm impressed. Not that you can paint, but the way you turned these into stunning pieces of art! Please share them for T this week. I'm sure the T gang will appreciate them.

jill said...

Lovely didn't they turn out lovely

Claire Grantham said...

I love these, especially the last one with the dark background and bright colours. Clever you! Cx

VonnyK said...

Ooh, now you've got me interested. That looks like so much fun. Wonder if you can get that stuff here in Australia.
Could be the start of something new :)
Yours look fabulous, that black one is just gorgeous.
Luv Von.